"I love this house. This house is warm in the winter, cool in the summer, and looks spectacular with Christmas lights. It's a great house. I never want to move. But the thing I think I like best about this house are the voices I hear when I walk through the door." -Father of the Bride

Sunday, March 1, 2015

Summer 2011- Kitchen Slider

I just had to sit here and think about the order in which we did projects since 2011.  I know it's not that important, but I like to know!  Fortunately, for my next post, I saw little Cooper in one of the pictures, and since the pool is open and it looks BEAUTIFUL outside, I know it was summer of 2011.  This update was to the 3-window door unit we had in our kitchen, leading to our patio.  It was very old, made of wood, warped, and the screen and track was broken in more ways than one.  The middle was a hinged door, and the side two panels were stationary.  We decided we preferred a slider, just to eliminate the door swinging in and hitting the kitchen table and chairs, and taking up unnecessary room when opened.  This is what it looked like:

There was a bit of drama in selecting a new door, because the new fiberglass sliders (which we definitely wanted, as they don't need to be painted, and they don't rot, etc) could not support a transom (that strip of glass above the door) of our size.  After some discussion, our awesome door guy Donnie (who has now done lots of door projects for us) came back with an idea to split the transom into 3 separate units above each door panel.  The result is AWESOME, I like it even better than before!  I feel like the 3 "lights" are more stylish and visually appealing than just the simple strip that was there before.  Another aspect of the new door we love, beyond it being a slider, is that all the window panes are INSIDE the glass- no painting necessary, and no way for children to pull them off!






No comments:

Post a Comment