"I love this house. This house is warm in the winter, cool in the summer, and looks spectacular with Christmas lights. It's a great house. I never want to move. But the thing I think I like best about this house are the voices I hear when I walk through the door." -Father of the Bride

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

It's the Little Things.

Throughout our renovations, we've done small things (but as we learned, some things only SEEM small) along with the big things. Remember when I said that we were doing our best to rid the house of yellow brass? One of the first things to go was the pulls on our built-in drawers in the master bedroom. These were the pulls before:

And these are the pulls now. I love this style and hope to have them on the kitchen drawers someday. (We need new cabinets first, eek.)



Then, in the midst of the foyer renovation, we decided to buy new hanging pendant lights, of which we had two: one hangs in the front hallway, and one hangs at the very top of the staircase on the second floor. I don't have an actual pic of the old ones, but they looked like this.

And these are the new ones, Hudson Valley Oxford pendants. Along with the rug in our bedroom, they are one of my most favorite home purchases, they are really beautiful lights.


And THEN...I decided I really wanted new doorknobs. The old ones weren't bad, but yes, they had a brass base, and a glass handle. I really wanted satin nickel lever-type knobs. Then we realized that if we replaced all the knobs, then we would have to replace all the brass HINGES on all the doors as well. Let me just say that you never realize how many doors there are in your house until you go to replace the knobs and hinges. And since we were doing lever knobs, we had to make sure they all faced the correct direction, and for those we wanted locks on....oh boy. Thankfully the painters helped us change a lot of them.

Old knobs:
New knobs:
After we replaced them all, my cousin, who now has an 18-month-old, pointed out that I had just made it a lot easier for a toddler to open doors. Oops.

Lastly, we had these interesting brass sconces on the hallway walls on the second floor. They reminded me of something you would see in a haunted house. Again I don't have an actual pic, but they looked like this.
Some were double like this one, some were single. We removed them all, and replaced them in only two locations- one outside of the two guest bedrooms, and one outside Cooper's nursery. The others weren't all that necessary, so we just patched the walls where they had been. These are the new ones, they are the Riley sconce from Restoration Hardware.


No comments:

Post a Comment